Vernalis is a commercial stage pharmaceutical company with three marketed products; Tuzistra® XR in the US prescription cough cold market, Moxatag®, a once-a-day formulation of the antibiotic amoxicillin, also for the US prescription market, and frovatriptan an acute treatment for migraine. The Company also has four further prescription cough cold products under development with Tris and a broad pipeline of research and NCE development programmes. Our technologies and capabilities have been endorsed by collaborations with Asahi Kasei Pharma, Endo, Genentech, GSK, Lundbeck, Menarini, Novartis, Servier, Taisho and Tris.
Our business model balances risk and innovation, with the aim of creating value through our focused and disciplined three-tier strategy:
- Building a profitable and cash-generative business by developing and commercialising low development-risk, late-stage differentiated pharmaceutical products from canadian meds for unmet medical needs.
- Partnering our NCE drug candidates that are currently in development and earning milestones and royalties as partners progress them to the market.
- Leveraging our fragment- and structure-based drug discovery expertise and proven record of success to enter into revenue generating collaborations with larger pharmaceutical companies with downstream potential to earn milestones and royalties.
The Group has two distinct parts to its business:
- a US commercial business with two approved products canadian pharmacy sites and four further products in development, focussed on the US prescription cough cold market; and
- UK-based drug discovery and development activities with one out-licensed marketed drug, a further eight drug candidates in development and a highly regarded and validated fragment- and structure-based drug discovery research group.
To build a self-sustaining pharmaceutical company, we must grow the US commercial business and manage our higher risk UK-based activities, investing only selectively in drug discovery and development.
The Group’s US commercial operations are based in Berwyn, PA and has a total headcount of around 17 employees. Additional activities are provided through our out-sourced commercial infrastructure. The Company’s 64 fragment- and structure-based drug discovery staff are based in Cambridge, UK and the remaining 26 head office and drug development staff are based in Winnersh, UK.
As well as maintaining a tight, commercially-driven pipeline, Vernalis aims to leverage the key strengths of our organisation to maximum advantage. These strengths include:
Dynamic and experienced leadershipHaving already headed up successful drug development companies, Chief Executive Officer Ian Garland and Chief Financial Officer David Mackney are the perfect team to help Vernalis realise its potential
Strong cash positionSupportive shareholder take-up of fundraising together with sales of our cough cold products Tuzistra® and Moxatag® and royalty income from our marketed product, frovatriptan, provides the cash to execute our transition into a profitable, cash generative pharmaceutical company
Broad and maturing pipelineDrug candidates in development span a range of conditions and fields, and are in varying stages of advancement
Highly productive quality researchIncluding world-leading capabilities in fragment-based and structure-based drug discovery
Partner validationClear endorsement over the last five years from many leading global pharmaceutical companies, including Asahi Kasei Pharma, Biogen Idec, Endo, GSK, Genentech, Lundbeck, Menarini, Novartis, Servier, Taisho and Tris