Following the recent expansion of our drug discovery programmes, we have a new requirement for a full-time lab-based Associate Scientist to join our Protein Sciences team for an initial 12-month fixed term contract.
Working in collaboration with other scientists, your role will be to deliver proteins to support structure guided design of novel therapeutics. Your focus will be the efficient running of a high throughput protein expression and purification platform, alongside other duties including generation of expression constructs and scaled purifications using AKTA equipment.
For the right candidate, this role represents an ideal opportunity to gain a key skill set necessary for advancement in the drug discovery sector.
- Day-to-day operation of a high throughput protein expression and purification platform
- Expression in E.coli
- Protein purification
- Protein characterisation
- Generation of plasmid DNA e.g. DNA sub-cloning and mutagenesis
- Scaled expression and purification of proteins to support NMR/ X-Ray crystallography
About the candidate
This post would suit someone who has recently completed or is about to complete a BSc in Biochemistry, Molecular Biology or related discipline. Alternatively, you may have several years’ experience operating as a lab-technician.
In addition, you will have:
- A working knowledge of the principles of protein purification
- An understanding of molecular biology techniques i.e. DNA construct generation
- General knowledge of lab and IT software systems including Office
- Strong team-working skills and able to collaborate across multi-disciplinary groups.
- Ability to organise work effectively and manage time to work on multiple projects.
- Excellent communication skills.
- A commitment to excellent record keeping, i.e. recording experiments in electronic lab books and various internal databases
Desirable attributes include:
- Previous experience working in a lab particularly during a summer placement or industrial placement would be highly advantageous
- Prior experience of high throughput protein purification
- Experience using AKTA purification systems e.g. AKTA Pure
- Familiarity with molecular biology software e.g. VectorNTI or CLC Main Workbench
- Experience of protein conjugation
- Desire to continually look for ways to improve processes
- Ability to generate and deliver PowerPoint presentations
To apply, send your CV and a covering email to email@example.com
All applicants must be eligible to work and live in the UK.