We have an opportunity for a PhD in synthetic organic chemistry to work in the medicinal chemistry group at our Cambridge UK research site, following expansion of our drug discovery programmes. Working as part of a multi-disciplinary project team, you’ll be responsible for the synthesis of organic molecules for biological evaluation.
- Design and execution of synthetic routes to prepare target organic molecules
- Keep up to date with literature and developments in synthetic organic chemistry, and champion introduction of new reaction methodology and technology within the group
- Coaching of other colleagues in their theoretical and mechanistic understanding of synthetic organic chemistry
- Application of purification and characterisation techniques, including automated flash chromatography, HPLC, LCMS and NMR
- Interpretation of in silico, structural, biophysical, biochemical and DMPK data, and application to compound design
- Accurate recording of experimental work in electronic lab notebooks
- Presentation of work at meetings (virtual and face to face) with both internal and external colleagues
- Contribution to preparation of patents and reports as required
About the candidate
You will preferably have a PhD in synthetic organic or medicinal chemistry, or a BSc/MChem/MSc degree in chemistry with significant postgraduate experience within an industrial medicinal chemistry environment. RSC membership is preferred.
In addition, you will have:
- Demonstrable practical and theoretical knowledge of synthetic organic chemistry
- Good problem-solving ability, combining personal knowledge of modern synthetic methods and techniques, with the ability to find and apply solutions from the wider literature
- Outstanding publication record in high impact journals
- Interest in medicinal chemistry, gained through experience or literature review
- Familiarity with relevant IT and informatics tools
- Good written and oral communication skills
- Enthusiastic, reliable, and conscientious attitude
We offer talented and motivated individuals’ excellent opportunities to develop their career within a creative, supportive and multidisciplinary team environment. Plus, a benefits package that includes a competitive salary (in line with qualifications and experience), bonus, pension, private medical cover, and life assurance.
To apply, send your CV and a covering email to firstname.lastname@example.org
All applicants must be eligible to live and work in the UK.